Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Katie Exposed


 
I've been waiting the entire book for someone else, her mom, a friend, anyone who would be introduced and developed as another main character in this story. But Katie Davis is taking on the impossible, alone. Not truly alone though, God could be considered a main character. It is evident in her novel, that Katie is a strong Christian and believes that Jesus died on the cross for our sins. Although Katie is the only main character in this book, I think it is important to develop her personality, as well as her relationship with her Heavenly Father.

When I began reading this book, I was worried that I would struggle to find symbols and rhetoric study and themes. But, as I was about half way through, I realized that the symbolism and stylistic part of this story was embedded in her simplistic writing and straight- forward details. Instead of taking a part a paragraph and trying to analyze it, I simply began to read the novel as if it were a Christmas break read. I simply read the book, enjoyed the story, and finally began to pick up on characteristics and other passages that clearly identified who Katie was.

 The picture above is a photo of Katie, taken in Uganda, with her 13 adopted children. This picture is just one of many that shows the love and compassion Katie has for serving others and in turn serving the Lord. As I have mentioned before, Katie repeats herself throughout the book when she really wants the reader to understand something. Through countless examples, Katie conveys a message to the audience that she is most happy when she is in Uganda with her new family, mostly because she has answered the Lord's call for her. This specific example leads me to my next point; the relationship between Katie and God.




This is a picture of Katie 'preaching' to a church full of people back in the United States. The reason I put preaching in quotations is because normally that term is used when referring to an educated middle-aged man speaking the word of God to a congregation of people, after he has attended years of college and maybe even seminary school. Katie is a 19 year old woman who has just graduated high school, but she is preaching her knowledge and experiences to others. Katie would say that only God could have changed her life in such a drastic way that she finally feels at home in a completely foreign land. She also says that 'God does not ask that we care for the less fortunate, He demands it.' Their relationship is so unique, that it has never been done on Earth. Katie completely surrenders her life to Christ and in return, she is blessed with the opportunity to LOVE, which brings me to my next point...

No comments:

Post a Comment